Following are highlights of our prison ministry:
- A Christmas show in the men’s section.
- A Valentine’s Day celebration in the women’s section. For this occasion we prepare songs, some reading material, cards, and gifts for the women.
- Celebrating Mother’s Day in the women’s section.
- Regular seminars in the women’s section (biweekly), as part of a motivational program called New Life. This program has proven very effective in improving the prisoners’ self-esteem and outlook on life. The aim of the program is to prepare the prisoners for reintegrating into society once they are released from prison.
- For Easter we organized a special exhibition with works of art created by prisoners, in collaboration with the local prison’s social reintegration office and other local officials.
Throughout the years one of our Family volunteers has spent time with the prisoners teaching them art, painting, and music. One of the adult prisoners became an accomplished painter, and in turn he started teaching the minors in prison. One section of the 2006 exhibition displayed watercolors painted by three of the most talented minors, as well as adult prisoners’ works (images inspired by Jesus’ journey to Calvary, painted on crushed egg shells). The exhibition was featured in local newspaper articles and TV shows.
Originally Published in 2006.